Launch Parade – Be Thrifty, Be Happy!
FESTIVAL OF THRIFT LAUNCH PARADE!
Be Thrifty, Be Happy – A parade to launch the 2018 Festival of Thrift!
Celebrating six joyful years of The Festival of Thrift, 2018 will host the first Thrifty Parade which will launch the festival in style and will be a fitting celebration of the local creative community spirit in Redcar. Taking the theme of Be Thrifty, Be Happy the parade will be a fun and entertaining spectacle which will enhance the feel-good atmosphere of Thrift. The parade will involve hundreds of participants from local schools and community groups who will burst onto the streets bringing wonderful carnival spirit to Redcar town centre.
Join us along the route which will take us from Coatham Road (from Community Heart), turning left on to Station Road then left on to the sea front where we will end at the Bandstand. Hope to see you there!
AT A GLANCE
- The launch parade is the culmination of months of community workshops, projects and activity in the run up to the Festival, will take the Festival right to the heart of Redcar town centre on the evening of Friday 21 September.
- Revellers will be entertained by a procession that starts with cyclists leaving Kirkleatham village, to be joined from the Community Heart by walkers at 6.30pm, all then heading to the seafront and ending at the bandstand for a musical finale. The event will be a warm up to the Festival’s big weekend celebration of sustainable living at Kirkleatham on 22 and 23 September.
- Produced by Stellar Projects, the parade will include lively music from Mr. Wilson’s Second Liners and Festival regulars Boom Bike, an outdoor dance performance on bikes by Bicycle Ballet, plus a return visit by Russian company Cardboardia, whose quirky cardboard creations were a hugely popular feature with festival-goers at the 2017 event.
- Taking the theme of ‘Be Thrifty, Be Happy’ the parade is set to provide a fun and entertaining spectacle that will enhance the feel-good atmosphere of Thrift.
- The parade will involve participants from local schools and community groups – Green Gates Primary School, Lakes Primary School, Grenfell Youth Club, Mind Crafty Cafe, Tuned In, The Link,Phoenix Voices, JUST, Thorntree Roses, Ladies of Steel and Saltburn Woodland Centre – who will burst onto the streets bringing a carnival spirit to Redcar town centre.